Monday 2 November 2009

CHEW BEFORE THE CIRCUS


A trip to Chew Valley reservoir was done mid September in an attempt to nail myself a decent pike on the fly before the pike trial circus arrive on the 15th of October. I have previously done the trials but due to some bizarre allocation system boats this year were bloody hard to come by.

On entering the lodge i did feel kind of uncomfortable without my fellow pikers around me, instead there was a gathering of trout anglers preparing for a competition scouting to see who is who, even today the sport still attracts those pretentious pompous idiots that look down on you if trout on the fly is not your thing. I took great delight in the end announcing that the pike was my chosen quarry of the day..... many faces of disgust i received!
It was nt long before " engines on and anchors away" motoring off towards stratford bay my chosen area of attack. I chose to use my own tied flies which were basically epoxy heads with a big eye and plenty of mirror flash on a fast sinking line, second cast and my first chew fly caught pike was had (above), and to be honest as chew pike go had to be the bloody smallest in this reservoir! Oh was i wrong, i ended up with a dozen around the same size with a biggest of 6lb but two big girls did follow my fly to the boat but just weren't to be fooled. A good day with plenty of action but will chew ever give up its beasts to me...... watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers